Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Wisdom teeth

Yesterday, I went in for my top two wisdom teeth to be removed. We arrived on time and sat and waited. They called us back to a room and the nurse took my vitals and said that I was alive. That was nice because if Elena and I had to wait as long as we did after that I would have begun to decompose and stink up the place.

Anyway, they finally found the doctor and he came in and was an older gentleman which was reassuring. A lot of times as these teaching hospitals you get a resident one week out of med school. We went back to another room and an assistant and I began to talk college football. I had an Iowa Hawkeye shirt on and he let me know that he was a Nebraska fan. We talked about Iowa State and I told him that the Huskers were lucky to win last week over them in double overtime. Nebraska hasn't been that good in recent years but we agree that they will be a lot better coming up. They changed their offensive scheme a few years ago when the fired their head coach for losing 3 games in one year. That coach was a run the ball and have good defense. The new coach follows a west-coast air attack offense. All his players were recruited for the ground game so it has been pretty ugly. Now, though, his recruits are to his mold and that is why they'll get better. We agreed that they shouldn't have fired their first coach.

So it goes. They put some oxygen on my nose and mix in some laughing gas. The doc and the assistant start talking about what they did for lunch. I tell them that I haven't eaten since the night before and I appreciate them talking about food. They chuckle and say something about just testing my consciousness. They stick an IV in and wait a few minutes.

I don't ever completely go to sleep so I can hear the drilling and feel the pulling. Then I realize that they aren't just hacking away at my top teeth. They are slicing away at my bottom molars too. Great. I've been trying to sleep so I won't remember any of this so I had my eyes closed. I open them and they tell me that they're doing the bottoms too because upon close inspection they see that they could pose problems in the future. I'm doped up so I'm just going along with everything.

They finish up and sit me up and put gauze in my mouth. I'm taken back to the other room with Elena in it and we sit and wait a few minutes for the nausea to subside. I puke a few times and we're good as gold. They tell me that it's from the blood in my stomach. Super.

They put more gauze in my mouth and try not to dribble too much blood and they put this ice wrap around my head. I think, "Watch out ladies, here I come."

Elena wheels us down to get my meds and we go home. She was very nice in letting me rest after this. She took the kids out shopping and to the park. I just laid in bed and tried to get some rest for the remainder of the day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home