Saturday, August 13, 2005

Kids to GG Watson

Elena and I dropped the kids off in Decorah yesterday and drove back to Rochester. We're leaving them for the first time overnight and we missed them but I'm sure that they're having fun. When we got home we put in DVD #2, of six episodes of the "best of" TV show Friends. It was OK. I think DVD #1 was better. They did all these flashback episodes and ones with extra characters brought in. Yea, if I have to watch Friends, it should be just the six friends. Not the six with one fiancee or whatever.

I was cutting up a cantaloupe the other day. I sliced it in half and started slicing one half up. The girl and the dog were next to me, her on a chair and him whining pitifully. They both love cantaloupe. I was slicing away when I hear Elena rise an alarm. I look over and Olivia had picked up the other half of the cantaloupe and held it up to her face and was taking a big bit out of it. I grabbed it away and gave her some chunks in a bowl. And then more chunks and more chunks. She had eaten half of it when I distracted her with a toy.

Today we woke up and went to the farmers' market. I had never been to the one here and it was crazy busy. There were about 40 booths and hundreds of people. They had lots of veggies and flowers but you could also buy peacock feathers, handcrafted wooden decorations, buffalo jerky, deer antlers, jams, jellies and honey. We bought a yellow watermelon, a cantaloupe, some zucchini and some salsa. Afterwards, we headed to Salad Brothers for lunch. I had the hot-ham-n-swiss and beer cheese and Elena had the same except she doesn't like swiss cheese so she used my spoon to scrape it off and deposit it onto my tray. The Dr. Pepper was especially tasty.

We went to a used book store. When we walked in there was an elderly lady pricing books and her son, I think, bored stiff because they were both quite eager to ask us if we wanted help finding anything or could help in any way. Elena and I are browsers so we declined to their chagrin. They went back to pricing things and we went to looking. I found some old MAD magazine books and I'm trying to culturize myself a bit and picked up the Iliad and Odyssey. They had many different copies of those books, some abridged and others the full deal all for the same price. I picked up the unabriged ones. If I'm going to read them I might as well do it right. Elena picked up some books and a piano music book. They have so much stuff at that store. There are books just piled everywhere and I mean everywhere. You can't get to the cooking section because of the stacks. Not that I was interested in a 50 year old copy of the Betty Crocker cookbook but as an example. Right at the entryway they have a table with stacks of recently purchased books. Under the table are stacks and around the table are stacks. Next to each of the persons chairs were stacks. Massive inventory. We go up to check out and by that time the proprietor, the woman's husband, is there. He takes our books and hand writes us a receipt. Uses a hand calculator to total it and makes change. I'm glad that we weren't in a rush but it is refreshing that even though it only added perhaps 2 minutes to the process it did force us to slow down our lives and think, "Am I always and so used to be in such a hurry that this couple of seconds is starting to tick me off?" As we left the son looked at us and said to me, "Thank you, Sir. Please come again." I thought it was funny in that Elena bought more than me and she had paid. I think it was only because I caught his eye as we left, but it was still funny.

We went to the movie Wedding Crashers this evening. It starred Owen Wilson, Vince Vaughn and Christopher Walken. It was entertaining. I'm a fan of Walken and I didn't know that he was in it until he showed up as a bride's parent. It had some good laughs in it. I'd wait for the rental though. We only went to it because everything else looked worse.

For supper we went to Azteca a new Mexican restaurant near us. It is authentic and we had a good meal. I had three tacos and Elena had some bowl with ingredients in it that you scoop out to make tacos. It was good and we'll go again I'm sure.

Off to watch Finding Neverland.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home