Sunday, February 12, 2006

Christian Comedy

We sent the kids off to my parents on Friday afternoon for Elena and I to have a little break. She bought some tickets to a comedy show and I had thought that it was at a new comedy club that opened up in Rochester. I was thinking a bar atmosphere, have a couple drinks and a few racy jokes. Nope, we went to some church for some clean comedy. We walked in and it was packed. It was a fairly new church, only about 6 months old I'd guess and there were about 2000 people already there. Holy cow.

We found some seats way off of stage right and the pastor went up on stage and made some joke about how he wasn't the comic and isn't that funny but that he is happy that everybody is there. Ha ha ha. Oh man.

The show started with some Canadian with huge hands. He was OK. He had lots of jokes about the physical things he could do with them. The second guy I thought was the funniest. He looked like a skateboarder with long front hair, tapered off in back, long underwear shirt with a t-shirt over and blue jeans. He had the best stories and wove them in between each other like a person with ADD, which he also made a joke about him having. The third guy was the most polished but I don't think he was as funny. He has good stuff about being a bit-heavy Hispanic catholic.

I really enjoyed myself and I'm sure Elena did too. The thing I wasn't keen about was when the first guy kept referring to himself as doing a "clean comedy" show. All I could think about was, "Don't tell us what you are doing, we know. Just do it." Like Tom Cruise in Mission Impossible all of a sudden stopping the movie mid death defying stunt and saying, "Hey, this is an action movie." It just drew me right out. The other two did bring in a Christian theme but wove it into their stories to bring people in.

After that we went to Applebee's for an after show meal. I had nachos.

I watched the Bourne Supremacy last night. Matt Damon starred and I thought that it was entertaining. I read the book many years ago and didn't remember hardly any of it which was probably a good thing because I hated the remake of the movie The Bourne Identity because it was so far from the book and so much worse. I mean, movies are usually a lot worse than the book but jeepers that was terrible.

We went to church this morning. The kids tried to be good. Olivia is so funny. She folds her hands nicely when it is prayer time but oh, she is so hungry and the Cherri-O's are right there in an open bag. She poked out her index fingers to make small pincers and with her hands still clasped she picked out some "O's" and stuffed them in her mouth. Again and again. The whole prayer she spent eating her "O's" this way and was happy as a clam. When everybody said, "Amen" she did too and commenced eating them in her usual hand over fist manner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home