Thursday, January 05, 2006

Getting over the holidays

The drive from St. Louis was a bit of a bear. Olivia wasn't much for sleeping but didn't complain that much. Zach slept a good amount but was sick and grumpy when awake. We went to Decorah for the weekend and opened more presents!!! Olivia is getting good a ripping the paper.

We went to AJ and Linda's new house and played cards. They bought a house next to Mr. Berland and it is really nice. Hardwood floors, large finished basement and a big upstairs bedroom. We played no-limit for fun with AJ's new poker table. AJ and I went all in on the first hand with two pair and he caught a full house on the river to win. So dealt for a while. After that AJ and I split winning.

The family went to Ben and Steph's for the New Year. There was a lot of food. We played Garbage and I was lucky enough to draw a lot of wild cards and won for the first time in I don't know how many years. Then we played a strategy game that I don't remember the name but it dealt with castles, roads, farmers and churches. Paul won that very handily and he had never played it before. We then played Decorah which is like Monopoly only with places in Decorah as properties. We started that around 11 PM. Elena took the kids back to my parents so they all could get some sleep. I was lucky enough to complete a quick 4 property monopoly and rode that to a long drawn out victory. Paul, Steph and I seemed to always be on the verge of bankruptcy and then we'd get good money then down again to mortgaging properties. Ben was always high with cash and properties but the game ended with me on a high that was just a bit higher than his total. Go me. Those guys definitely have above average IQ's so I feel pretty good about winning (even if there is a good amount of luck involved).

Then we went to Wykoff for another Christmas. We had a nice meal and then opened presents. Robert beat me badly again in EA sports college football. Lots of people took naps then. It was getting late and I went with Erin home and Elena and the kids followed. It was nice to be home after so long.

I drained the water heater. It came out all clear. I don't know if that means that there isn't any sediment in there or that the sediment has hardened and will never come out. We'll find out when the thing dies and if it weighs 500 pounds.

Our toilet flush valve has been driving me crazy the past few weeks. Sometimes is just doesn't seal and you can hear water trickling down the drain. I had bought a new washer for it but that didn't work so yesterday I bought a new flush valve and put that in. I tossed the kids in the bath and worked away at it. They took a long bath. I had it all in and set up and it had the wrong kind of flush handle for the new one. Doh. I said a little prayer and checked out the downstairs bathroom. Fortunately for me, someone had messed up and bought the wrong handle for that one but the right one for the valve I put upstairs. I took the bad one from upstairs downstairs and now they are both happy little toilets. Or so I thought. As I was screwing on the supply line the plastic nut split and was spewing water everywhere. Crud. So I salvaged the one from downstairs and put it upstairs so now our downstairs one is shy a water source. But the upstairs one works like a charm.

I filled the bird feeders today too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home