Saturday, February 12, 2005

Olivia's Birthday Party

Yesterday I got off work at noon and headed home. I didn't feel well at all and Elena asked me if I was going to make it because I was putting on quite a performance. Well, I honestly was hurting.

Anyway, we left for Decorah around 2:30 and made it to my parents' house a little before 4 and they came home just after 5. That night was one of the worst we've ever had. Both children were either miserable, hungry, poopy, not tired, worried about the other or just plain crabby. Olivia - we tried to get her to sleep on a mattress in the computer room next to our room and that didn't go so well. She would roll off it and wake herself up and being in a strange place it wasn't so good. Zach wanted to be held and fed a lot. Elena was sick with the flu and started out tired and I was sneezy and coughy. We were a mess. Finally, I went out to the living room with Zach on my chest and Olivia bunked in with Elena and that got us a few hours sleep. From 6-8. We dozed other parts of the night but not for more than a half hour or so. I got up in good spirits. Feeling on top of the world then though so go me.

Elena, on the other hand was in bad shape. She slept a good part of the day which was fine with everybody. Zach was his low-maintenance self and the grandparents took care of Olivia. Oh, and last night Elena fell down on the three wooden stairs going down to our rooms. There was this loud bang bang bang thud and I thought that Olivia had crawled over the baby gate and fell, but it was Elena holding Zach. They were fine but Elena took a good blow because she didn't want to drop him.

I was changing Zach's diaper and he was fussing loudly and Olivia just can't stand to hear her baby sad. She was in the other room and I hear this rapid pat-pat-pat-pat of little feet. She came tearing in with her arm extended with his pacifier in her chubby little hand. She was frantically wanting to help saying "baby, baby, baby" and wanting to pat him for comfort.

OK, now for the fun part.

Olivia and I went sledding down the hill by the barn and had a blast. She just giggles and laughs the whole way down. Then I get to drag her up the hill and we sled back down. Speckles likes to chase us or get in the way and that gets her going too. Dad got some good photos of us I'll try to put some up later. We went out twice today.

Around 5, people started coming over. AJ, Linda and Luke, Janet, Aidan, Brendan and Paul, Travis, Michelle and Forest, Nadine and Erin, Kevin, Tera and Cashton and my parents were there. Lots of kids - it was fun. Elena picked up a Dora the Explorer cake and we had plates and napkins of Dora. Olivia loved the cake and ice cream. People did a lot of catching up and talking and watching kids play. We put on Finding Nemo and that was a minor hit with some of the kids.

Olivia got a lot of presents. She isn't really into opening them but the other kids were. They knew exactly what to do with wrapped boxes. Lots of people had driving to do so nobody stayed really late but that was fine.

Iowa beat Northwestern in basketball. Normally this wouldn't be newsworthy but Iowa isn't doing so well in b-ball. The wrestlers beat Minnesota yesterday. Dad and I watched that on TV. They aren't having the best of years either. 5 of the 10 weights are freshman. Ouch. But they'll be good. Lots of potential.

I'm gettng tired so I think I'll head out for now. Hopefully we'll have a good night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home