Thursday, August 10, 2006

Insulating the attic and other ways to sweat off weight

Dad came up last Tuesday to help us out with insulating the attic. Elena and I were late to meet him at home because we went to a pregnancy appointment so he got in some play time with the kids and Nadine.

He and I then went off to Menards and picked up the last of the insulation and the blower. The blower was a bit of a problem because we had to lay it down instead of standing upright. That meant that we had to unload it off the truck at our house and it is heavy.

I climbed up the ladder and pushed back the panel and we could feel the heat pouring down the opening. Whew. I went back in to get a few more drinks of water. Re-motivated I climbed up in there and started crawling around. All was going well and I had made it across the kitchen and belly-ed my way through a cut-out to the sun room. I was pulling the tubing and the switch with me which made it a bit more difficult. I was almost into position dragging that stuff when it became stuck on a truss. I yanked and pulled and mumbled a bit but it wouldn't budge. I had to crawl all the way back out to unstick the hose then crawl back in. My clothes were soaked and we haven't even sprayed one bag! (I ended up changing cloths every time I came down which was three)

Once we got going it went fast. It just sprays out of the tube and fills a big area very easily. It is kind of fun even. Hot up there, but fun. We stopped for lunch of meat and cheese sandwiches and headed back up. We put in 12 bags total and then cleaned up. Olivia was a great help. She pulled tubing and electrical cords and even helped lift the machine back into Dad's truck.

I'm really glad that this is done. It is a project that has needed to be done for a long time. Hopefully it pays for itself quickly.

Zach has a large firetruck that he just loves. It has a handle in back that he grabs hold of and pushes and pulls it up the driveway. He'll get to the top and run behind it as fast as he can down the slope. He just has a blast. He learned the trick from Olivia. She has a thing for the firetruck too so there are conflicts. I usually get out her tricycle and she'll want that instead.

Dad was down below filling up the hopper with the fiberglass with Olivia. She sounded like she was having a great time. She was shouting and playing and watching the machinery. She really liked seeing the poofs of fiberglass speed through the semi-transparent tubing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home